Active carbon is used in filtres used to clean the water and air. It can also be bought as tablets and capsules against diarrhoea and toxins in the alimentary canal that have not yet been absorbed into the bloodstream. Active carbon is useful as a first aid for children who have swallowed a poisonous substance and it should be given during the first hour after swallowing it to obtaine the maximum effect.
Pregnant and breast feeding women are safe to take active carbon.
- 600 mg. 4 times a day or
- 800 mg. 3 times a day
Do not use active carbon
- For children under 2 years of age
- If you suffer from congestion or ulcers
- If you suspect that you suffer from appendicitis
- Acute abdominal pain should be examined by a doctor
- As the substance absorbs toxins, you should be aware that active carbon might also decrease the absorption of prescripted medication and contraceptive pills
- Do not get frightened about your stools being coal-black
Also see "Bad breath", "Diarrhoea and increased peristaltics", and "Food poisoning".