Causes of Depression
- Generally optimists are far less likely to develop a depression than are pessimists.
- Clinical experience shows that many who suffer from depression are deficient of essential amino acids. This may be caused by too little gastric acid or a deficiency of B vitamins, especially folic acid and vitamin B12.
RecommendationsGeneral advice on disease prevention and a healthy lifestyle can be found in the library article "General Advice - for healthy as well as for ill ones" in the VitaHealth section under Focus Articles.
Relevant Medical Examinations
- Do you produce sufficient gastric acid? Many sufferers of depression produce too little gastric acid which means that important vitamins and amino acids are not absorbed. Be aware that the symptoms of too little gastric acid and too much gastric acid are similar.
- Is the thyroid gland functioning normally? If there is depression with fatigue or other signs of decreased function of the gland.
- It may be a case of heavy-metal poisoning. One way to check is with a hair-mineral analysis.
- Is it a case of food allergy or intolerance
- People who have their first depressive episode after the age of fifty should be examined by a doctor for signs of stroke.
- Amino acid complexes
- B vitamins
- Omega 3 fatty acids
- Chocolate: Contains several substances, including phenylethylamine, which stimulate the brain. The fat in chocolate increases the level of endorphins, which ease pains and give you a feeling of well-being.
- Music therapy
- Multivitamin-minerals: Dosage 4 tablets in the morning and 4 tablets in the evening in connection to a meal.
- Tryptophan: "5-HTP": Dosage: 3 capsules a day - to be taken between meals.
- Omega 3 fatty acids: Dosage: 3 capsules (1000 mg) a day - to be taken in connection with meals.
- Herbs, St. John's wort. Dosage: 2 capsules a day.
- Some have experienced good effects after skipping a night´s sleep.
- An ice cold shower increases the brain’s production of noradrenalin, and therefore can help. (Not recommended for people with heart conditions).
WarningsIf you suffer from depression, you should be examined by a doctor before starting self-treatment.
St. John's wort can reduce the effect of certain kinds of prescripted medication.